I am a freelance illustrator and designer with 19 years experience working within the creative industry. I produce visual solutions for a range of clients and have designed imagery for packaging, poster, advertisement and editorial purposes. I specialise in children's book illustration with an emphasis on narrative, story-boarding and character development. I also write and illustrate my own stories.
Clients include Liberty of London, Harrods, Templar Publishing, Random House, Usborne Publishing, Cadburys, Faber & Faber, Macmillan Publishing, Barefoot Books, Marks and Spencer, The BBC, The Times Newspaper, The Radio Times...
My latest book, 'Once Upon a Snowstorm' was published by Faber and Faber in November 2018, It is my first wordless picture-book and explores the story of a lonely boy who becomes separated from his father in a huge snowstorm. The book was designed to allow the parent and child to develop their own response to some of the themes within the story.
I have illustrated numerous books for children of all ages, including 'Pinccochio' and 'Alice in Wonderland' for the popular 'Pop-up and Sounds' series by Templar Publishing, 'My Grandpa's Amazing Inventions' which I wrote and illustrated in 2008. Other titles include revised editions of 'The Nativity' and 'The Night Before Christmas', published by Random House. Books for younger readers include 'Animal Stories for Bedtime', 'Illustrated Nursery Rhymes' and 'Animal Alphabet ABC', published by Usborne.
- Gold Medal Winner — Children's Book, Professional Category — Images 36 | The Association of Illustrators — Best of British Illustration
- Silver Medal Winner — Children's Book, Professional Category — Images 26 | The Association of Illustrators — Best of British Illustration
- Society of Illustrators New York – Illustrators 64: (2021): Museum of Illustration, New York.
- The World Illustration Awards 2021 — Longlisted Artist — Unpublished - Professional Category
- Hiiibrand Illustration Award, Winner ‘Best of the Best’ (2020), China.
- The World Illustration Awards 2018 — Shortlisted Artist — Children's Book Illustration - Professional Category
- Prize for Illustration – London Stories (2019): London Transport Museum, London.
- Society of Illustrators New York – Illustrators 61: (2019): Museum of Illustration, New York.
- 3x3 International Picture Book Show No.15 — Winner, Merit — Children's Editorial & Published Children's Book Category
- 3x3 International Professional Show No.15 — Winner, Merit — Posters Category
- Winner — British Book Design and Production Award - Pinocchio — Children's Book, Templar Publishing.
- The World Illustration Awards 2016 — Shortlisted Artist — Self Initiated Illustration — Professional Category
- 3x3 Contemporary Illustration — Winner, Merit - Professional Children's Book Show No.9
- Shortlisted for The Illustration Awards 2014 — Children's Book Illustration - Professional Category | AOI
- Runner Up - Creative Quarterly 30 — Professional Illustration Category
- Shortlisted for The Illustration Awards 2013 — Design, Public Realm, Children's Book Illustration | Professional Categories | AOI
- 3x3 Contemporary Illustration — Winner, Honourable Mention — Professional Picture Book Show No.11
- Selected Illustrator — The Best of British Illustration Exhibition | AOI — Images 23, Student Category | Images 24, Student Category | Images 26, Editorial Category, Children's Book | Images 27, Professional Children's Book Category | Images 30, Professional Children's Book Category | Images 33, Professional Children's Book Category | Images 36, Professional Children's Book Category
Working Process and Influences:
I learnt a while ago that I like to keep things interesting for myself, Ive always tried to apply my visual lanaguge to a range of design challenges and for varying audiences. I've worked on advertisements, environmental graphics, children's books, character development, shop window displays, packaging, gift-books and gift-ware, fiction and non-fiction, magazines and newspapers.
I enjoy experimenting with different approaches to creating my illustrations, finding different methods of applying colour and texture to my drawn language. The work starts life within my sketchbooks, the imagery is developed through a process of re-drawing and re-scanning, layering combinations of digital painting and scanned traditional medium to a finished outcome. Experimenting with mixed-media, both traditional and digital, allows me to discover new directions for my work.
My main interest is visual and sequential story-telling which I apply for various purposes and frameworks, emotional response and the development of character are also important design considerations. Aesthetically, I like imagery with atmosphere and a defined personality, offering something that expands on the text or concept. Tone and lighting have a big part to play in how I conceive and develop an image. I am also interested in the compositional relationships between shape and space, sometimes forced perspectives or viewpoints, often very flat compositions.
Client List Includes:
- Templar Publishing
- Liberty of London
- Harrods London
- Faber & Faber
- Bloomsbury Books
- Barefoot Books
- Oxford University Press
- Usborne Children's Books
- The Times Newspaper
- BBC Audio Books
- Ladybird Children's Books
- Sky Magazine U.S
- TV Times Magazine
- Commonwealth Secretariat
- Sandvik Publishing
- Highbury House Communication
- Crocodile Creek
- Mantra Lingua Publishing
- Harper Collins Children's Publishing
- Readers Digest Publishing
- Dorling Kindersley
- DUDNYK Advertisement
- Pearson Education Publishing
- Ballard and Tighe Publishing
- BBC Worldwide
- Marks & Spencer
- Random House Publishing
- Kingfisher Children's Publishing
- Aardman Animation Studio
- The Radio Times Magazine
- Maynards Sweets
- Zondervan Publishing
- Scholastic Publishing
- Lion Hudson Publishing
- McgrawHill Publishing
- Chrysalis Children's Books | Anova Publishing
- Gullane Children's Books
- United Airlines HK
- King's College London
- Hollywood Bowl
- Edinburgh Castle
- Child's Play Publishing
- Inter Visual Publishing | Piggy Toes Press
- Harcourt Children's Publishing
- Houghton Mifflin
- Nelson & Stanley Thornes
- Working White Publishing