As an illustrator and designer with over 23 years experience working within the creative industries I have produced visual solutions for a range of clients, designing imagery for packaging, publishing, advertisement and editorial purposes. Having published over seventy books for children, I specialise in narrative illustration with an emphasis on story-boarding and character development.
I am currently in the third year of my practice-based PhD. My research explores the development of wordless illustration, unconstrained by commercialised restrictions and bound linear sequences. As an authorial practitioner, this research examines the design processes and the application of new forms of material as pedagogic tools in the context of immersive group readings.
Clients include Frances Lincoln, Liberty of London, Harrods, Templar Publishing, Random House, Usborne Publishing, Cadburys, Faber & Faber, Macmillan Publishing, Barefoot Books, Marks and Spencer, The BBC, The Times Newspaper, The Radio Times...
Children's picture books include'Our Tower' written by Jospeh Coelho, the 12th Children's Laureate, published by Frances Lincoln. This book explores hi-rise living and the importance of inner-city communities. Working with Jospeh on his semi-autobiographic narrative was a delight. The book was founded on an intensive research phase which investigated some of the urban and rural areas that Jospeh grew up in.
'The Thing at 52' written by Ross Montgomery is a poignant story which discusses complex themes of old age and death. I designed the Thing as part guinea pig-part gorilla-part lion and a little bit of rabbit!
'Once Upon a Snowstorm' was published by Faber and Faber in November 2018, It is my first wordless picture-book and explores the story of a lonely boy who becomes separated from his father in a huge snowstorm. The book was designed to allow the parent and child to develop their own response to some of the themes within the story.
I have illustrated numerous books for children of all ages, including 'Pinccochio' and 'Alice in Wonderland' for the popular 'Pop-up and Sounds' series by Templar Publishing, 'My Grandpa's Amazing Inventions' which I wrote and illustrated in 2008. Other titles include revised editions of 'The Nativity' and 'The Night Before Christmas', published by Random House. Books for younger readers include 'Animal Stories for Bedtime', 'Illustrated Nursery Rhymes' and 'Animal Alphabet ABC', published by Usborne.
- Nominated for the Yoto Carnegie Medal for Illustration 2023 (Our Tower published by Frances Lincoln)
- Shortlisted for the English Association Picture Book Awards 2023 (Our Tower published by Frances Lincoln)
- Gold Medal Winner — Children's Book, Professional Category — Images 36 | The Association of Illustrators — Best of British Illustration
- Silver Medal Winner — Children's Book, Professional Category — Images 26 | The Association of Illustrators — Best of British Illustration
- American Illustration 41 (2022), New York.
- Society of Illustrators New York – Illustrators 64: (2021): Museum of Illustration, New York.
- The World Illustration Awards 2021 — Longlisted Artist — Unpublished - Professional Category
- Hiiibrand Illustration Award, Winner ‘Best of the Best’ (2020), China.
- The World Illustration Awards 2018 — Shortlisted Artist — Children's Book Illustration - Professional Category
- Prize for Illustration – London Stories (2019): London Transport Museum, London.
- Society of Illustrators New York – Illustrators 61: (2019): Museum of Illustration, New York.
- 3x3 International Picture Book Show No.15 — Winner, Merit — Children's Editorial & Published Children's Book Category
- 3x3 International Professional Show No.15 — Winner, Merit — Posters Category
- Winner — British Book Design and Production Award - Pinocchio — Children's Book, Templar Publishing.
- The World Illustration Awards 2016 — Shortlisted Artist — Self Initiated Illustration — Professional Category
- 3x3 Contemporary Illustration — Winner, Merit - Professional Children's Book Show No.9
- Shortlisted for The Illustration Awards 2014 — Children's Book Illustration - Professional Category | AOI
- Runner Up - Creative Quarterly 30 — Professional Illustration Category
- Shortlisted for The Illustration Awards 2013 — Design, Public Realm, Children's Book Illustration | Professional Categories | AOI
- 3x3 Contemporary Illustration — Winner, Honourable Mention — Professional Picture Book Show No.11
- Selected Illustrator — The Best of British Illustration Exhibition | AOI — Images 23, Student Category | Images 24, Student Category | Images 26, Editorial Category, Children's Book | Images 27, Professional Children's Book Category | Images 30, Professional Children's Book Category | Images 33, Professional Children's Book Category | Images 36, Professional Children's Book Category
Working Process and Influences:
I enjoy experimenting with different approaches to creating my illustrations and my work is often an amalgamation of traditional and digital drawing processes. The work starts life within my sketchbooks and this imagery is developed through a process of digitally scanning and re-drawing. I use a Cintiq tablet and Photoshop to layer combinations of digital painting and traditional medium. Experimenting with this mixed-media approach allows me to discover new directions for my work.
My main interest is sequential story-telling. Finding interesting themes and stories to tell is important to me and I enjoy being able to work with authors to develop sequences of images that expand and complement a text. As a predominantly narrative illustrator I am fascinated by the relationships between text and image, narrative viewpoint and developing character. I enjoy imagery that has a sense of personality and atmosphere, tone and lighting also have a big part to play in how I conceive and develop my work. I am also interested in the compositional relationships between shape and space, sometimes forced perspectives or viewpoints.
Client List Includes:
- Frances Lincoln
- Templar Publishing
- Liberty of London
- Harrods London
- Faber & Faber
- Bloomsbury Books
- Barefoot Books
- Oxford University Press
- Usborne Children's Books
- The Times Newspaper
- BBC Audio Books
- Ladybird Children's Books
- Sky Magazine U.S
- TV Times Magazine
- Commonwealth Secretariat
- Sandvik Publishing
- Highbury House Communication
- Crocodile Creek
- Mantra Lingua Publishing
- Harper Collins Children's Publishing
- Readers Digest Publishing
- Dorling Kindersley
- DUDNYK Advertisement
- Pearson Education Publishing
- Ballard and Tighe Publishing
- BBC Worldwide
- Barrington Stoke
- Marks & Spencer
- Random House Publishing
- Kingfisher Children's Publishing
- Aardman Animation Studio
- The Radio Times Magazine
- Maynards Sweets
- Zondervan Publishing
- Scholastic Publishing
- Lion Hudson Publishing
- McgrawHill Publishing
- Chrysalis Children's Books | Anova Publishing
- Gullane Children's Books
- United Airlines HK
- King's College London
- Hollywood Bowl
- Edinburgh Castle
- Child's Play Publishing
- Inter Visual Publishing | Piggy Toes Press
- Harcourt Children's Publishing
- Houghton Mifflin
- Nelson & Stanley Thornes
- Working White Publishing